Curious about amber teething necklaces? No, those little orange beads you see around all the cutest chunky baby necks aren’t just a fashion statement. They’re actually amber teething necklaces a homeopathic teething remedy and let me tell you they are pure magic!
If we’re being honest teething just completely sucks. It steals your precious little babe and turns them into a monster. They drool non stop, hardly sleep, and it can seem impossible to soothe them. There are a couple medicine options to help relieve their pain but teething lasts for so long, you might not want to medicate your babe the whole time.
As for natural pain relief options, it’s pretty much all about lowering any possible inflammation which is exactly what the amber teething necklace is supposed to do. You might be wondering how this could possibly be natural. Well, it’s because the amber inside the necklace actually comes from the fossilized resin of conifer trees. These trees thrive in cold climates and so in countries of the Baltic, like Poland, this kind of amber has actually been used as a pain relief remedy for centuries.
Baltic Amber contains succinic acid and when it’s worn against the skin it warms up and releases oils to be absorbed into the bloodstream which in turn relieves pain. This succinic acid is not just calming but antioxidant rich, anti-inflammatory, and immune boosting.
While Amber teething necklaces are a new trend for parents here in the states, they are an old tradition of many other countries. Needless to say, they are a tried and true method to help you live through teething.
- 1 Must Know About Amber Teething Necklaces
- 2 Our Favorite Options
- 3 Amber Teething Necklaces- Frequently Asked Questions
- 3.1 What age is safe to start having your baby wear an amber teething necklace?
- 3.2 Can my baby choke on their teething necklace?
- 3.3 Is an amber teething necklace more effective than a teething bracelet or an amber teething anklet?
- 3.4 What size of teething necklace should I buy for my baby?
- 3.5 How do you properly clean an amber teething necklace?
- 3.6 How do you find & buy a real Baltic amber teething necklace?
- 3.7 How much do amber teething necklaces cost?
- 4 Alternative Ways to Soothe a Teething Baby
- 5 What methods have helped soothe your teething baby?
- 22.214.171.124.12 *Disclosure- advise given on this site is for entertainment purposes, please consult your pediatrician before making any decisions.
- 126.96.36.199.13 **This post contains affiliate links through Amazon’s affiliate network.
- 5.1 Share this:
- 5.2 Related
Must Know About Amber Teething Necklaces
- Not all amber has healing properties, it must be Baltic Amber which is also known as succinite. So keep this in mind when purchasing!
- While they look like they’d make a great chew toy amber teething necklaces are not meant to be chewed on. Your baby will probably still want a teething biscuit or a cold toy to chew on.
- These teething necklaces can be worn from 2 months old all the way through toddlerhood.
- Remove the necklace during nap and bedtime to avoid any hazards.
- Natural amber comes in many different colors when choosing a teething necklace it’s best to look for the lightest colors (milky oranges and yellows) because they’re believed to contain the most succinic acid.
- You don’t want the necklace to be too long, as your little one will then think it’s meant to be chewed on, but you don’t want it to be too tight either. They run from 12 inches to 14 inches long.
- Make sure there’s real amber in your amber teething necklace; when placed against something hot you should smell a hint of pine, rub your necklace against a piece of cloth and see if it creates static, and check to see your colors are buttery and light anything too bold has probably been cooked which reduces the effectiveness.
- Unpolished or semi-polished options are best because amber in its most raw state is most powerful.
- Make sure to wash the necklace about once a month and let it dry in a sunny spot.
- They are undeniably cute. Your babe will be in with the trendy crew.
- Amber teething necklaces are a great alternative to medicine and contain no synthetic chemicals.
- They can be worn around the neck or wrapped around your babies wrist or ankle, meaning you have lots of options depending on what you’re most comfortable with.
The Cons of Amber Teething Necklaces
- The beads of the amber teething necklace could pose as a choking hazard if the string is broken, so this soothing method is only an option when your baby is under supervision.
- They are not regulated by the FDA, so purchase only from trusted and highly reviewed sellers
Is an Amber Teething Necklace Right for You?
There are many strong believers in the powers of Baltic Amber to soothe your baby during teething, and while there might not be a ton of scientific proof, mamas have been swearing by them for centuries. Also, the FDA has stated that succinic acid is safe, especially for the small amount that you absorb from amber jewelry. As long as you’re supervising your baby amber teething necklaces are a safe option to help with teething woes. Anything to help your baby (and to help you get a few extra hours of sleep) is well worth the try.
Our Favorite Options
Amber Teething Necklaces- Frequently Asked Questions
What age is safe to start having your baby wear an amber teething necklace?
The teething necklaces can be work by babies as young as 8-weeks old. You usually begin to use Baltic amber to soothe symptoms and discomfort when your baby shows the first signs of teething. Children can continue wearing their teething necklace until about age three.
Can my baby choke on their teething necklace?
Properly fitted amber teething necklaces are pretty safe as long as the baby is being supervised by an adult and the teething necklace is removed while the baby is sleeping.
Most necklaces have breakaway closures and double knotted beads which help to provide additional safety measures.
Is an amber teething necklace more effective than a teething bracelet or an amber teething anklet?
The best option is to purchase the teething necklace. The reason being the succinic acid will be the strongest where it enters the skin. The neck is much closer to the mouth, therefore a necklace is more beneficial.
What size of teething necklace should I buy for my baby?
A standard length is 12.5 inches and it usually fits babies from 3 months old- 1 year. You want the necklace to fit comfortably around the babies neck without being too tight or too loose as both of those can cause safety concerns. Toddlers 1-2 years typically wear a 13-inch necklace and 2+ years wear a 14-inch necklace.
How do you properly clean an amber teething necklace?
You will want to take care to wash your necklace at least once per month with gentle soap and then allow it to air dry. You can allow your baby to wear their necklace while bathing but it is best to remove the amber necklace before entering a chlorinated pool.
How do you find & buy a real Baltic amber teething necklace?
Be sure to buy from a good supplier and one that has excellent reviews. We have listed some of our favorite necklaces, or necklaces readers have shared with us above.
To test if your necklace is made of actual Baltic amber you can rub the necklace against a cloth to see if it causes static electricity. If there is enough static to pick up a paper you most likely have real Baltic amber. You can also put the teething necklace against something hot. If you can sense a hint of pine that is another sign you have actual Baltic amber.
How much do amber teething necklaces cost?
We find that most are within the $20-$30 range.
Alternative Ways to Soothe a Teething Baby
There are many different ways to soothe babies sore gums. Some other trusted methods we have tried include:
- Frozen washcloth. Tie a knot on the end of a damp washcloth and place in the freezer. Baby will enjoy knawing on it.
- Teething toys. Plastic and rubber toys are great for soothing baby’s aching gums.
- Teething Rings. Place a teething ring in the refrigerator. The baby will enjoy chewing on the chilled ring. Avoid freezing teething rings though; they are too hard for children’s mouths.
- Massage. A light, gentle gum massage might give your little one some relief. Make sure to wash your hands, then massage the sore areas in your baby’s mouth with your fingertip.
- Hylands Teething Tablets. There are mixed reviews on teething tablets and I always recommend talking to your pediatrician. But, all of my babies used Hylands Teething Tablets and I thought they were amazing.
- Medicine. When your baby is having a really tough time, ask your pediatrician about giving a dose of Tylenol. Note: Numbing gels or creams that contain benzocaine are not recommended for babies.
What methods have helped soothe your teething baby?
Pin for later-
*Disclosure- advise given on this site is for entertainment purposes, please consult your pediatrician before making any decisions.
Keyword: Amber Teething Necklaces- What You NEED To Know!