Join Mimsblog to find out the article “Makin’ it: Star Wars-themed baby mobile”
These are the droids you’re looking for. I created this hanging R2D2 mobile after seeing this gorgeous Vespa mobile on Hey Jen Renee (please click through, pin it, love it!). For our baby brother, we wanted to make a Star Wars version, but this same idea could work for any number of fun themes.
I sketched a rough R2D2 as a template (note that my husband and son disagreed about the importance of the third/middle leg and I opted against using it because I didn’t want to create a giant penis) but you could always trace a cookie cutter or use a printable. Though my droids are messy, I think they still pass for robots.
- Assemble materials and template.
- Cut out matching foam shapes about 4″ big.
- Clip them to your mobile.
- Hang high out of baby’s reach.
Pro tip: Buy the hanging mobile with clips (not wire slider thingies) to save yourself minutes of aggravation (in my case, four minutes of hole-punching and tying loops).
Materials I like:
More fun ideas:
After my ten-minute DIY foam mobile was done, I had many more ideas. Since I still have this mobile frame, I can change the design a gajillion times.
- Pac Man. A sentimental favorite of mine. One yellow circle cut into Mr. Pac Man and the other colors as ghosts (easier than R2!)
- Angry Birds. A favorite of my children. Cute primary colors could work well for this. Create a few birds and pigs. Done.
- Yoda. Green yoda heads. Done!
Once assembled, I hung the mobile on our dining room light fixture for a few days before moving it high out of reach. It goes well with the robot motif in the bedroom.
I’d love to hear any other ideas for a simple foam mobile in the comments. Or better yet, pictures.
Baby mobile not your thing? Choose another fun Makin’ it project.
Keyword: Makin’ it: Star Wars-themed baby mobile