It can be very stressful when your baby is suffering from reflux, colic or a cow’s milk allergy. However, try to not feel overwhelmed because there are options out there for your baby! Chances are your pediatrician has suggested trying Nutramigen or Alimentum formula to alleviate your baby’s symptoms and lessen their pain. Most doctors recommend both, knowing that babies will likely improve regardless, but this can leave parents in something of a quandary wondering the pros and cons of Nutramigen vs Alimentum.
While it’s a personal decision and all babies are different, it’s beneficial to learn as much as possible before selecting the formula you’ll use to nourish a baby with special nutritional needs. Here, we’ll dive into the pros and cons of both Nutramigen and Alimentum.
Nutramigen vs Alimentum: Which is Best for Your Baby?
This special formula is manufactured by Enfamil, a well-known and trusted formula company. It contains iron and is for babies who are struggling with breastmilk or traditional formula. Nutramigen is hypoallergenic and comes in both a powder form and a ready-to-feed bottle pack.
- This formula is dairy-free, making it ideal for babies with reflux, colic or a cow’s milk allergy. Since dairy products are at the root of these issues, Nutramigen will help baby to be more comfortable and healthier.
- Nutramigen is also soy-free. Babies who are prone to tummy issues frequently react to soy, as well. Nutramigen protects babies from having soy-related reactions, too.
- Nutramigen may be free from several common products, but it still provides your baby with complete nutrition. In fact, it is quite similar to breast milk, containing water, vitamins, minerals, fats, carbohydrates, and proteins.
- This product also contains DHA, which naturally occurs in breastmilk and supports babies’ brain development.
- Nutramigen contains a probiotic called Enflora LGG, which studies have shown improves digestive health and supports food allergy management.
- It can be a slow process to change your infant to a new formula, but Nutramigen is said to improve your child’s tummy pain in approximately 48 hours.
- There’s no way around it ”“ Nutramigen is costly. In fact, it is nearly double the cost of some other formulas on the market. (Luckily, Enfamil often offers coupons for this product.)
- Nutramigen is a bit infamous for its unpleasant flavor, and some babies simply refuse to take it.
You can purchase and learn more about Nutramigen here!
This special formula is manufactured by Similac, another well-known and trusted baby product company. Like Nutramigen, it is hypoallergenic and great for babies suffering the painful symptoms of colic, reflux and cow’s milk allergy. It is available in powdered form, or in ready-to-feed bottles. Below you will find our pros for Alimentum vs Nutramigen!
- Alimentum is what’s known as a pre-digested formula, meaning it contains proteins that are already broken down for easier digestion. This is especially helpful for babies struggling with digestion issues or with sensitive tummies.
- This product does not contain any artificial growth hormones that could negatively impact your baby’s development and is it both lactose-free and soy-free.
- It is a nutritionally complete formula that provides all the vitamins, minerals, proteins and more that infants need to thrive.
- Alimentum contains both DHA and ARA, which are special nutrients found in breastmilk that are especially important for babies’ brain and eye development.
- It’s heartbreaking when your baby is in pain, and you want to alleviate her symptoms quickly. Alimentum advertises that their formula will begin to show results in as little as 24 hours.
- Just like Nutramigen, Alimentum is an expensive formula. Similac does tend to provide lots of coupons, though, to help families afford it.
- Also similar to its Enfamil counterpart, Nutramigen isn’t known to have a very pleasant taste. Some babies will struggle to adapt to it, especially if they are accustom to breastmilk.
You can purchase and learn more about Alimentum here!
Making the Right Choice- Nutramigen vs Alimentum
As far as your baby’s health goes, pediatricians commonly recommend both Nutramigen and Alimentum because either will provide your child with complete nutrition for a healthy start in life. As you can see from the above information, these two brands are quite similar. They both offer hypoallergenic formulas that are free from lactose and soy products, and their make-up is meant to mimic that of breastmilk. However, there are a few key differences to consider as you make your decision:
- Nutramigen is unique in that it contains an extensively studied probiotic. These tiny microorganisms work to improve your baby’s gut health by helping to balance the bacteria that naturally occur in the digestive system. Microorganisms also reduce certain allergic reactions, including those associated with cow’s milk.
- Alimentum claims to work in as little as 24 hours, as compared to Nutramigen’s 48. While this may not seem like much of a difference, parents with fussy babies who are dealing with digestive pain often want the fastest option for their child’s relief.
As with many facets of childrearing, choosing a formula that serves your baby’s special dietary needs is a very personal choice. There’s no right or wrong answer when choosing between Nutramigen and Alimentum, and you can always start with one and move on to the other if you don’t get the desired results from your first choice.
Start with a FREE Sample Pack
If you truly can’t decide, let your wallet make the decision for you. Oftentimes, doctors’ offices have a supply of free sample formulas for parents to try ”“ if you just can’t seem to make a decision about which is right for your baby, start with whichever brand is readily available as a free sample pack. With the expense of these specialized types of formula, and most everything else being equal, sometimes it makes sense to go with the more fiscally responsible choice.
All babies are different, and even though it can be overwhelming and frustrating to find a formula that suits your baby’s unique digestive needs, trust that there’s an answer out there. Always follow your pediatrician’s advice for switching to a new formula and listen with an open mind to any advice they may offer regarding Nutramigen and Alimentum.
You May Also Like:
Breastfeeding for Beginners [The Guide You Need!]
Baby Won’t Take a Bottle? Here Are 5 Ways To Help Them
Best Formula for Gassy Babies [5 Belly Soothing Options!]
Keyword: Nutramigen vs. Alimentum: Which is Best for Your Baby?