Join Mimsblog to research the article “The Best Cribs for Your Baby [Crib Safety Guide]
September 10, 2018
The wonderful world of baby products is always on the move, presenting more and more options as the years go by. So even if this isn’t your first rodeo as a parent, you may find yourself feeling behind on the latest in baby crib options. Convertible cribs, basic cribs, high-end cribs, oh my! If you’ve…”
The wonderful world of baby products is always on the move, presenting more and more options as the years go by. So even if this isn’t your first rodeo as a parent, you may find yourself feeling behind on the latest in baby crib options. Convertible cribs, basic cribs, high-end cribs, oh my!
If you’ve been feeling overwhelmed by crib shopping, worry no more! We’ve done hours of research to help you understand everything there is to know about crib safety. We’ll give you the rundown on current safety standards, best practices for crib safety, and give you a list of the top 15 models on the market. You’ll be sure to find just the right crib for your little one to rest his or her sweet head.
Crib Safety Standards
As of 2011, manufactured cribs cannot have a drop-side rail, as this feature has proven to increase risks for infants. Cribs must also have stronger crib slats and mattress supports, improve the quality of hardware, and withstand more rigorous testing than in years prior to 2011. The Consumer Product Safety Commission recommends asking the manufacturer for a certificate of compliance with the current standards if you’re unsure if a certain crib meets the standards.
Crib Best Practices
Any parent who has been chastised for letting their baby sleep on their stomach knows recommendations about baby sleep seem to always be changing. But it’s important to stay up to date. Research continues to reveal new information about how to decrease the risk of SIDS and keep your baby safe while sleeping.
The Safe to Sleep campaign educates parents on how to safely put a baby to bed in a crib. The guidelines are as follows:
- Never put pillows, loose blankets, stuffed animals, or anything else in the crib with your baby.
- Make sure the crib doesn’t have any gaps between the side of the crib and the mattress that are wider than two fingers.
- Follow the instructions when you assemble the crib.
- Do not use cribs more than 10 years old, or a crib that has been modified in any way.
- Do not add extra padding to play yards or cribs.
Never place a crib near a window with loose curtain cords or blinds.
Crib bumpers can pose a hazard to children and should not be installed in the crib.
When to Start Using a Crib
Infants should sleep in the same room as their parents (but not on the same surface!) until at least six months old, but the American Academy of Pediatrics strongly recommends keeping them in the same room until at least one year of age.
Babies should sleep near their parent’s bed in a bassinet for the first few months but can be moved to a crib when they start to outgrow the bassinet — usually around three or four months. You’ll know they’re ready for the crib if they start bumping into the sides of the bassinet or simply seem too big for the space.
Top Baby Cribs
Now that you’ve learned about crib safety standards and best practices, it’s time to get down to business with the shopping. Here’s a list of the top 15 best cribs on the market. These cribs are beloved by parents all over the country, and for good reason. These safest crib brands also offer the highest quality, best design, and convenient features.
- Babyletto Hudson 3-in-1 Convertible Crib. This crib tops the charts for chic, modern design and reliability. As a bonus, it also converts into a toddler bed!
- Graco Benton 5-in-1 Convertible Crib. Not to be outdone by the Babyletto model, this crib converts into a toddler bed, daybed, or full bed, and can also be adjusted at three different heights — a lifesaver when your baby starts trying to climb out of the crib.
- DaVinci Jenny Lind Convertible Crib. This is a high-quality crib with a retro look and a host of cute color options.
- Union 2-in-1 Convertible Crib. You can’t beat the price point of this crib! It’s a fairly basic model but earns points for its streamlined design and affordable cost.
- Pottery Barn Kids Kendall Crib. This crib is on the pricier end, but it comes in a classic style, and the durability can’t be beat.
- IKEA Gulliver Crib. Though the price point is low, the Gulliver model is one of the safest baby cribs out there, thanks to IKEA’s strict safety standards.
- IKEA Sniglar Crib. When you want a crib for under $100, IKEA is the place to go. This popular crib slides in at under $80 and looks great with any decor.
- Alma Mini Solid Wood Crib. Tight on space? Pick up this mini crib for when your baby has graduated from the bassinet, but you don’t have tons of room to spare.
- Baby Bjorn Travel Crib. If you’re a frequent traveler, consider purchasing a travel crib to take on the road. You can even use it when you’re at home and skip the permanent crib altogether!
- Graco Charleston 4-in-1 Convertible Crib. Another classic style, the Graco Charleston model is a popular and economical choice.
- Babyletto Lolly 3-in-1 Convertible Crib. If style is what you’re after, Babyletto is the brand for you. The Lolly style is chic and modern for boys and girls alike.
- Baby Mod Marley 3-in-1 Crib. When the Babyletto crib is out of your budget, consider a similar style from the equally popular Baby Mod brand.
- Dream On Me Synergy 5-in-1 Convertible Crib. We love all the color options on this simple and affordable crib.
- Delta Children Royal Convertible Crib N Changer. This crib has both storage space and a spot to change your baby, making it the ultimate multi-purpose piece when you’re planning the layout of your nursery.
- Delta Children Emery 4-in-1 Convertible Baby Crib. Amazon rates this crib one of the “best of the best,” and the hundreds of positive baby crib reviews back up the claim.
Gain Greater Peace of Mind
By selecting a well-known, reliable crib brand, you’ll get a better night of sleep knowing your baby is okay while they snooze. The Owlet Smart Sock helps bring even more peace of mind while you sleep. Get real-time and trended insights into your baby’s heart rate, oxygen levels and sleep.
Keyword: The Best Cribs for Your Baby [Crib Safety Guide]
September 10, 2018
The wonderful world of baby products is always on the move, presenting more and more options as the years go by. So even if this isn’t your first rodeo as a parent, you may find yourself feeling behind on the latest in baby crib options. Convertible cribs, basic cribs, high-end cribs, oh my! If you’ve…