Join Mims Blog to Research ”
Traveling with your baby: The necessity of carrying the best diaper bags ”
Traveling with a baby can safely be defined as one of the toughest things to do; new parents in this house will agree! There is just so much a little baby needs for their day-to-day survival that most parents often give up the thought of traveling just thinking about dealing with all the baby paraphernalia they’d have to carry on the vacation.
As parents, if you actually are setting on the adventure of traveling with your baby, there’s one thing you’d need to ensure (and double ensure): never be underprepared. Carry extra of everything in your baby diaper bag: extra wipes, extra pacifiers, extra diapers, extra bibs, extra burp cloths – just double up whatever you can! Now how can you successfully carry all of these items (and more) without having to carry a huge extra suitcase just for your baby needs- a baby diaper bag!
Baby diaper bag, just by the name of it, does sound like a bag that would be used to carry around diapers but that’s not quite it. Baby diaper bags could be looked at as a one-stop-bag solution that can possibly hold literally all the extra yet very necessary items your little baby would need when you’re out and about with them. Baby diaper bags typically come with specially engineered compartments and areas to hold all baby items compactly in one place with ease.
Now, this brings us to possibly the biggest counter-argument in your brain right now:
Why do you need a diaper bag when you can just use any old bag to carry baby items?
Here’s why: On the first trip you plan with your baby, you will most likely want to sit down and first make an exhaustive list of everything your baby could need on the trip. Once you do that, you will realize there are just SO MANY ITEMS and not enough space in your otherwise one or two-compartment tote bag to organize everything neatly.
That’s why you need a baby diaper bag. A baby diaper bag, apart from the ability to hold all baby items in one place, also helps you stay organized by letting you arrange all items systematically. So when your fussy baby cries for a diaper change, you know exactly where the baby diaper, diaper rash cream, wipes, and pacifier are. In other words, a baby diaper bag organizes baby essentials and saves you the trouble of going through tons of other items in a regular tote bag to find the diaper stuck in one corner and wipes in another. Most baby diaper bags in fact, even have compartments to let parents slide in their phone or tablet when tending the baby on the go.
What type of diaper bag should I buy?
Before getting to the best diaper bags out there, let’s quickly discuss the types of diaper bags available on the market out there.
1) Backpack diaper bags
As the name suggests, such bags come in a diaper backpack format and can be carried on both shoulders, leaving your arms and hands absolutely free. There literally exist so many brands making diaper backpacks that you may not even be able to figure out it’s a diaper bag in the first place- just because of how chic they look! Most quality backpack diaper bags feature large and sturdy that equally distribute weight on both shoulders.
2) Messenger diaper bags
Messenger diaper bags are the kind of bags that come with one adjustable strap and can either be carried on one arm like a shoulder messenger (sideways like a tote) or across the body (like a sling bag). Most of these bags, on the outside, look just like any messenger bag of an office-goer but on the inside, can hold multiple baby items and some may even have the capacity of holding an entire laptop!
3) Tote diaper bags
Just like a regular tote bag, tote diaper bags are huge handbags that can either be slung on the shoulder or carried in the hand. What makes them different from regular tote bags, however, is that they come with multiple pockets and compartments to conveniently hold and organize baby items.
4) Convertible diaper bags
Highly functional and convenient to carry, convertible diaper bags are the form of bags that can either be used as a backpack bag or as a messenger bag. If you are a working parent who would not like to invest in multiple bags, a convertible diaper bag makes the most sense as you can use the messenger format on your regular days when you’re hassling around between work and the baby; and then in the backpack format when you’re traveling! Most convertible diaper bags also have handles that let you carry them like a briefcase.
5) Stroller handlebar diaper bag attachments
Though rarely found, some bags even come with stroller straps or loops that can be hung from stroller handlebars. Though functional, such bags are not very commonly preferred because not only do they tend to be heavy but can also cause the stroller to tip backward, hence posing a safety threat. endangering your baby. If you do happen to buy such bags, make sure you read the manufacturer’s guidelines on how much weight can the handlebar bear.
Now, coming to the juice-
Here are the top 5 best baby diaper bags to buy in 2021-
1) Diaper Bag, Nappy Bag by Maman
A diaper bag that is somewhere mid-way between a tote bag and a messenger bag, this one comes with adjustable straps that make it functional, yet not compromising on the chic-factor. A rather good-looking bag, it features a highly secure main compartment, two insulated pockets for carrying baby water bottles/ milk bottles, and another back pocket to store the changing pad (a matching pad comes included with the bag!). A very easy to clean, waterproof, and durable bag, it weighs just around 10 ounces and is priced at $55.
- Item size: 13x16x6
- 10 pockets on total
- An exclusive baby bag: does not offer dedicated pockets to store cellphone/ tablet/ laptop
- Available in multiple color options like black, red, gray, and dark gray
- Matching changing pad included
2) Honest Company Everything Tote Diaper Bag
A bigger-than-average tote style vegan leather diaper bag, this one’s best for parents who believe in sustainable living and would want to instill the same philosophy i.n how they raise their baby. Featuring a total of seven pockets (two of which are zippered), this one has enough space to literally hold any baby item- from the change of clothes to diapers to diapers wipes to baby milk and everything else in between! The pocket dedicated for liquids like milk and water is further water-resistant which keeps the spillage issues at bay. Priced at $150.
- Item size: 19″ wide, 13″ high, and 7″ deep
- Vegan faux leather bag for sustainable living
- Doubles up as a shoulder/ stroller bag
- Features two insulated pockets
3) Kate Spade New York Blake Avenue Kaylie Baby Bag Diaper Bag
If you are a p[arent who does not understand anything non-chic, this Kate Spade bag is for you! Featuring 14-karat gold plated hardware, this bling handbag comes in a tote cum messenger format which means that it can either be worn on the shoulder (8-inch drop) or can be carried across the body using the detachable shoulder straps (18 inches). Made in a nylon exterior with vinyl accents, this bag is internally lined with water-resistant polyester and there’s also a slide pocket for the included changing pad! The high-end bag is priced at $174.99.
- Features exterior bottle pockets
- Weighs about 1.75 pounds
- No insulated pockets
- Includes a changing pad
- Mo dedicated pockets for cell phone/laptop/ tablet
- Item size: 14 x 12.5 x 7 inches
- Comes in multiple color options like black, pink, white, and diamond white
4) Tactical Baby Gear Deuce 2.0 Tactical Diaper Bag
This thoughtfully designed, BPA-free, Phthalate-free, Latex-free, Lead-free, military-grade, water-repellent unisex bag is one of the most durable diaper bags you can get your hands on out there. Featuring a padded tablet compartment and a carabiner keyring on its interior, it doubles up in terms of adult functionality too. It further has a tactical MOLLE (Modular Lightweight Load-carrying Equipment)system on the rear side which lets you clip-on accessories. In terms of additional storage for easy access, it also has three pockets in the front. Last but not the least, it also has a detachable and heavily padded shoulder strap that provides ultimate comfort. The only problem, however, is that there is no concluded changing pad. Priced at $222.
- The exterior has Velcro fields to hold patches
- No insulated bottle pockets
- Padded shoulder straps
- Item size 18 x 11.6 x 2.5 inches
- Item weight 1.95 pounds
- Dedicated pocket for smartphone/tablet/laptop pocket
- Available in multiple colors like Black, Black Camo, and Ranger Green
5) Skip Hop Forma Backpack Diaper Bag
his backpack pretty much has the same features as a generic diaper bag backpack but what actually then sets it apart are the two added packing cubes (one insulated and one mesh)! When traveling, you may want to carry a frozen milk storage bag with you and the possibility of keeping an extra bottle of milk or formula or food in an insulated cube, away from all other items could be a great relief! Another advantage is a dedicated changing pad pocket that also doubles as a tablet or laptop pocket! This lightweight bag, phthalate-free, PVC-free, made in a quilted material is priced at $74.99.
- Item size 16 x 14 x 8 inches
- Item weight 1.4 pounds
- Dedicated phone/tablet/laptop pocket
- Available in jet black and peacock colors
Final Thoughts: What to Consider When Buying a Diaper Bag
Now that you know the types of diaper bags and also have a ready-to-use list of the best baby diaper bag, you may be wondering, “what should I look for when I buy a diaper bag?” While that remains a decision solely for you to take per your needs and requirements, let us give you some factors of comparison to help you with that too!
- Durability: Look for how solid is the construction of the bag to assess its durability. Are the seams and touchpoints like straps reinforced? What is the hardware? Is it a zippered pocket made of cheap plastic or is it heavy-duty plastic/metal?
- Storage: No matter how fancy a diaper bag is, it will be futile if it does not have enough storage pockets like side pockets, interior pockets, and compartments to conveniently carry all baby items. Look for a bag with maximum storage pockets and perhaps insulated pockets or additional pockets to hold your gadgets.
- Straps and handle material: Since you will be carrying around this bag a lot, you should look for padded straps and handles that do not hurt your shoulder. Thin straps or cheap straps may not only break down soon but can also pierce into your skin and cause you discomfort.
- Material: Look not only for durable material but also an easy-to-clean, preferably machine washable or easy to wipe clean material. The baby mess is unavoidable and you would not want to waste your time cleaning a bag in the middle of taking care of your baby. Be especially cautious of vinyl bags as they can crack very easily, just with some wear and tear.
- Changing pad: Multiple diaper bags come included with a foldable changing pad that can be stored in a dedicated pocket right inside the bag. Such a pad just makes it super easy to change your baby even in public.
- Other general factors: The color and pattern of the bag fall under other general factors you would obviously want to take a look at. As for co-parenting partners, you may also want to buy a unisex bag so none of you have to compromise on the aesthetics of the bag while taking care of your baby. You may also want to look for a bag that is lightweight on its own. Remember, a heavy diaper bag will only get heavier when filled with baby items!
1) What should you carry in a diaper bag?
Following are some items you may want to have on your diaper bag checklist:
- A changing pad
- Diapers (always carry one extra than what you think you’ll need)
- Baby diaper wipes
- Burp cloth/big
- Rash cream
- Hand sanitizer
- Diaper disposable bag
2) Do I really need a changing pad?
A changing pad is a large cushioned mat that can be rolled into a small and compact size to store inside a diaper bag. It can be used as a base for when you want to change your baby’s diaper and comes in handy especially when you’re on traveling and do not have access to a lot of clean surfaces to change your baby’s diaper.
3) Are backpack diaper bags better?
Which diaper bag is the best depends highly on the parent’s lifestyle and preference. A backpack diaper bag may be good for parents who are always on the go and do not like to keep their hands occupied. Such bags also come in hand when you are carrying the baby in your arms or walking them in a teller as they keep your hands free.
Traveling with your baby: The necessity of carrying the best diaper bags